In SOLABS QM, when using the Document Control Process to manage document creation, revision and retirement, the following tips can help you understand the different behaviors and specifics of the process.
Tips to Know
❶ A Document Control Process is always linked to just one (1) version of a document.
If you start a Document Control Process for revision of a document that is currently at version 2.0 for example, the QM APP will remain linked to that document version which will ultimately become version 3.0 once approved (Internal Version).
While the QM APP is ongoing and is linked to this version of the document, if you start a new Document Control Process and try to link the same document, you will get an error message unless the status of that document in the other opened QM APP is either Approved, Not Effective or Approved & Effective.
It is strongly recommended to complete the ongoing QM APP in which the document version is linked and then start a new Document Control QProcess for the next version of the document to include the additional changes once the previous one is Completed.
If the additional changes definitely need to be included in the document version that is linked to the ongoing Document Control QProcess, you can remove that document from the ongoing QM APP as described below:
❷ It is possible to remove a document from the ongoing Document Control QM APP.
This is possible when the QM APP is at the following Steps:
- Step 1 – Change Request for Creation, Revision or Retire of Document > since the documents are added at that step, they can also be removed in that step
- Step 2 – Owner - Manager Approval > can be returned to Step 1 and the document removed from there
- Step 3 – Document Coordinator Processing > can be returned to Step 1 and the document removed from there
Depending on the status of the document when it is removed from the process, a sentence will be displayed in the Process Task Form and in the Process Values Table such as:
Once the document has been removed:
- If there were other documents linked to the Document Control Process, it will be possible to continue the process for those documents.
- If that was the only document linked to the Document Control Process, the process will need to be cancelled and the following message will be displayed when accessing the Process Task Form:
It is then possible to start a new Document Control Process with the version of the document that had been removed.
When at Step 1, or returned at step 1 from step 2 or 3, it will be possible to add additional text in the Description of Change and Purpose of Change fields for that document to request additional changes from what was initially asked.
❸ If a Document Control Process is already further along than Step 3, it will NOT be possible to remove the document from the process. In this situation, if you absolutely need to add modifications to the document linked to that process you can:
- Access the process and on the right-hand side, access the Modify Description and Purpose option where you will be able to document the additional changes that have been asked for that version of the document --- This is possible only if the document is not approved yet (as mentioned previously, if the document is approved, a new Document Control Proces can be started)
- Cancel the process and start a new one. Once cancelled, this version of the document will then not be linked to any open Document Control Process and it will be possible to select it in a new one.
****** However, it is always better to follow the normal flow and complete a QM APP that has been started for a specific version of a document before starting a new Document Control Process for this document *****
Refer to the following article for a Known Issue that has been corrected with Release 3.2.0 that will be available with Core Software Release 10.9.0: https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001982161-Known-Issue-DOC-Control-Process-Cannot-be-Completed-if-the-Linked-Document-Requires-Training-and-it-is-Superseded-by-a-New-Version
RELATED ARTICLES for Document Control Process:
Document Control Process General Overview (P0007): https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041573534-Document-Control-Process-General-Overview-P0007-
SOLABS QM10 Initiating a Document Control Process: https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042046493-SOLABS-QM10-Initiating-a-Document-Control-Process