In SOLABS QM, when using the Document Control Process to manage document creation, revision and retirement, the following tips can help you understand the different behaviors and specifics of the process.
Tips to Know
❶ A Document Control Process is always linked to just one (1) version of a document.
If you start a Document Control Process for revision of a document that is currently at version 2.0 for example, the process will remain linked to that document version which will ultimately become version 3.0 once approved.
While the process is ongoing and is linked to this version of the document, if you start a new Document Control Process and try to link the same document, you will get an error message unless the status of that document in the other opened process is either Approved, Not Effective or Approved & Effective.
Itt is strongly recommended to complete the ongoing process in which the document version is linked and then start a new Document Control Process for the next version of the document to include the additional changes.
If the additional changes definitely need to be included in document version that is linked to the ongoing Document Control Process, you would need to remove that document from the ongoing process as described below:
❷ It is possible to remove a document from the an ongoing Document Control Process.
This is possible when the process is at the following Steps:
- Step 1 – Change Request for Creation, Revision or Retire of Document > since the documents are added at that step, they can also be removed in that step
- Step 2 – Owner - Manager Approval > can be returned to Step 1 and the document removed from there
- Step 3 – Document Coordinator Processing > can be returned to Step 1 and the document removed from there
Depending on the status of the document when it is removed from the process, a sentence will be displayed in the Process Task Form and in the Process Values Table such as:
Once the document has been removed:
- If there were other documents linked to the Document Control Process, it will be possible to continue the process for those documents.
- If that was the only document linked to the Document Control Process, the process will need to be cancelled and the following message will be displayed when accessing the Process Task Form:
It is then possible to start a new Document Control Process with the version of the document that had been removed.
❸ If a Document Control Process is already further along than Step 3, it will NOT be possible to remove the document from the process. In this situation, if you absolutely need to modify the version of the document linked to that process you can:
- Cancel the process and start a new one. Once cancelled this version of the document will then not be linked to any open process and it will be possible to select it in a new Document Control Process.
****** However, it is always better to follow the normal flow and complete a process that has been started for a specific version of a document before starting a new Document Control Process for this document *****
Refer to the following article for a Known Issue that has been corrected with Release 3.2.0 that will be available with Core Software Release 10.9.0: https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001982161-Known-Issue-DOC-Control-Process-Cannot-be-Completed-if-the-Linked-Document-Requires-Training-and-it-is-Superseded-by-a-New-Version
RELATED ARTICLES for Document Control Process:
Document Control Process General Overview (P0007): https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041573534-Document-Control-Process-General-Overview-P0007-
SOLABS QM10 Initiating a Document Control Process: https://docs.solabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042046493-SOLABS-QM10-Initiating-a-Document-Control-Process