This article provides some ideas for how to use videos or online training modules as part of the Training Activities you create and assign in SOLABS QM.
SOLABS QM is not a video repository. When using videos for training, we recommend that you upload your video on an external video management platform. Then, you can provide links to that video in your training activity (see Links to External Training Modules below).
Beginning with version 10.9, QM10 allows video embedding. A new parameter has been added to Training Activities specifically for this. Users are now able to paste the embedded link(s) provided by one of the supported platforms (see below) in this field, which will embed the video(s) directly on the Training Activity page.
Embedded links from the following platforms are supported:
- Microsoft Stream
Uploading Your Videos Without Making Them Public
Youtube, Vimeo, and Microsoft Stream offer methods for embedding or linking your videos without making them available to the public.
- Youtube: The video must be set as "Unlisted". Only users with the direct URL will be able to access your video, and this will allow the embedding software to access it. This feature is free to use.
- Vimeo: If you are a Plus user or have a higher-tier paid subscription, you gain the option to select "Only people with the private link" for your videos. This will give permissions to the embedding software without giving the public access to your video.
- Microsoft Stream: When a user attempts to open a video embedded or linked from Microsoft Stream, it will automatically verify the credentials of your user to confirm they have permission to access this video. Your user may have to sign in to their Microsoft account before accessing your video.
Other ideas for adding videos to your training activities.
Adding the Link to Your Training Activity as a Method of Evaluation:
- You can attach the link to your training activity in the Method of Evaluation field of your training activity.
- For this, the URL needs to be the only text in the Method of Evaluation field.
- For an existing training activity, you will have access to this field through the Modify action.
Using the Link Documents option to attach the URL as a Related Item:
- You can use the Link Documents option to attach any video as a Related Item. You will need to attach a URL that provides a link to your video.
- One way to do that is to save the URL as a Shortcut on your desktop and then Drag & Drop/Upload that as your file. This may result in some security errors but give it a try.
- If the shortcut doesn't work, you can copy the URL itself into the Description field of the Training Activity. When trainees right-click on the URL and choose the option to Open it, they can view the video.
Imbedding the URL into an "Instructions Document":
- This option can be handy when you also want to provide some brief instructions to the trainee on either the context for the video or possibly the login instructions if the URL is to the Login Page for an external training module website. Provide any instructions you may need including the URL to access the video or website Login Page.
- In this case, even if you publish to PDF, the URL will be "live" when the trainee opens the document.
- If you want to store this document in the SOLABS QM Document Section you can also link it as a Curriculum Document set for Recurrence based on document revision, just as you would an SOP or other training document.