When you have an existing document that needs to be modified, the process is a little different than the "Create Document" process you used for a brand new document.
The important differences are:
- Instead of using the Create Document function, find the existing Approved & Effective document by one of the various Search options or directly in the Treeview folder.
- Access the metadata page by clicking on the View option for the Approved & Effective document.
- Use the Get Editable File Format button to obtain an editable file to make the changes you need or to send it to the author/owner to revise. You can skip this step if the owner has already provided you with a file that includes their updates.
- Click Modify to initiate the Authoring page for the next version.
- NOTE: If the revision is linked to a Document Control Process, the Authoring page will already have been created for you through that process.
- Click Remove under the existing file.
- Import the new file when it is ready.
- Edit the Version field to put it up one version. It will not go up automatically!
- Make any other metadata changes that may be necessary. Often this is just the Reason for Change field since the metadata from the previous version is automatically brought over.
Setting Workflow and getting it out for Review/Approval is the same as for a new document. It will however automatically pick up the Reviewers & Approvers from the last version so you may need to remove someone if the new Reviewers and/or Approvers are different for this new version.
If the Approved & Effective document was linked to a Curriculum and Training Activity set for Recurrent on Document Revision, a new Curriculum and Training Activity will be created automatically. If the Status After Recurrence was set to be Active, the Training Activity will also automatically go out to the trainees. If the Status After Recurrence was set to be Not Started (our recommendation), you have the opportunity to make any changes you might like such as setting Due Dates for this new version or making any changes to Function Role Links. If any new Function Role links are added, you'll also need to use the Assign End Users option so the people related to those new links get the assignment.
The attached User Guide provides some more detailed instructions on the various document statuses in SOLABS QM and covers the process for revising an existing document.
Table of Contents: